Our Miami Slip and Fall Attorney Explains 5 Must Do’s After an Injury
A slip and fall accident – especially one that results in an injury – can add unnecessary stress to your life. You could be looking at costly medical bills; you could be unable to work, or worse, you might lose your job. You may end up not being able to pay for other obligations. On top of all of that, there’s the unnecessary pain and suffering that you have to endure.
While nobody wants to be the victim of a slip and fall accident, should you find yourself in such a predicament, it’s important to know what steps to take right after such an accident occurs. Our Miami slip and fall lawyer has compiled a list of 5 things that you should do after a slip and fall accident.
1. Preserve Any and All Evidence. As per our slip and fall injury lawyer in Miami, the first, and perhaps the most important, the thing that you should do after a slip and fall accident is preserve the evidence. In order for a claim to be successful, sufficient evidence is necessary. With that said, it’s crucial to not only gather, but to maintain any evidence that proves the cause of the accident as soon as you possibly can. By doing so, you can ensure that the materials are not marred, and therefore remain relevant to your case. You should also try to obtain any evidence that could change, such as testimonials from witnesses, or that could become difficult to find later on, such as a recording of the incident.
Once you understand that you have been the victim of a slip and fall accident, make sure you start taking action as soon as you possibly can. Talk to the people who saw the accident unfold and collect their names and contact details. Take pictures of the location where the accident occurred, as well as any injuries that are immediately visible.
2. Seek Medical Help. After a slip and fall accident, our Miami personal injury lawyer notes that seeking medical treatment is paramount. Not only is it important for your overall health and well-being, but it is also important for any legal proceedings that may follow. In order to file a personal injury claim, you must provide proof that you actually sustained an injury. The best way to go about doing this is by being diagnosed and treated by a healthcare professional. Waiting to receive treatment could potentially hinder your case.
Make sure that you collect any records that document the injury and illustrate that it was, in fact, the result of your slip and fall accident. This includes medical records and bills for the medical services you received.
3. Be Mindful of Opponents. When you are a victim of a slip and fall accident, any statements that you make have the potential to be used against you. As such, it is extremely important to avoid giving more details than are absolutely necessary. You will likely be contacted by insurance companies. Representatives will ask questions about the accident and try to record your statement. Insurance companies often use tactics to try and make you downplay the injuries you have sustained by phrasing questions in particular ways. Party opponents, such as the owner of the property, may try to collect information on you to help their case. In either case, make sure you avoid discussing your case in great detail with anyone other than your lawyer.
4. Steer Clear of Social Media. Though it may be tempting to share the news of your injury on social media, it is in your best interest to avoid doing so. Opposing insurance companies could investigate your social media accounts and use the information you share against you, thereby marring your case. It is absolutely vital for you to keep your accident out of the public eye until you have fully discussed it with and received instructions from a slip and fall attorney.
5. Contact a Personal Injury Law Firm in Miami. While all of these steps are important, one of the most important steps you should take after a slip and fall accident is contacting a personal injury lawyer. An attorney that specializes in slips and falls will be able to investigate and develop your case, provide you with vital information, and handle all of the legalities that surround your case.
If you find that you are ever in the unfortunate situation of being involved in a slip and fall accident, following these five steps will help make the aftermath easier to deal with.
We handle a variety of cases, so call us now if you have any questions.
View more contact information here: Miami Slip and Fall Lawyer.
News From a Miami Slip And Fall Lawyer
Slipping and falling is really just a part of life. Everyone has fallen at some point in time. When you think about falling down, most people associate it with sprained ankles. But other times, injured tendons or broken bones are the final result. There are some serious falls that can cause head inj...
Slip and fall accidents are among the most common types of accident to end up in court. These are negligence cases and often there is a party held liable. Examples include, the landowner who did not maintain their premises properly, or the business owner who did not use signage to indicate that an a...
Falling down a flight of stairs can happen to anyone. One minute you are taking a step and the next you are taking a tumble. When this happens, it can be quite a traumatic experience. While we are careful while walking up or down a flight of stairs, falling happens more often than you would think. I...
A slip and fall accident – especially one that results in an injury – can add unnecessary stress to your life. You could be looking at costly medical bills; you could be unable to work, or worse, you might lose your job. You may end up not being able to pay for other obligations. On top of all o...