Drowsy Driving – A Sleeping Threat
When most people think of unsafe driving, texting, drinking or using drugs usually comes to mind. However, there is another form of unsafe driving that can be just as deadly: driving while drowsy.
What’s Drowsy Driving?
Being tired can it difficult to complete everyday tasks, but it can make one particular task deadly: driving.
Whether it’s a side-effect of a medication, a sleep disorder, or simply a lack of sleep, driving while drowsy happens all too often, and the results can be devastating. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that an average of 56,000 motor vehicle crashes each year are the result of drowsy driving, and approximately 1,500 of these crashes are fatal.
The Effects of Drowsy Driving
Though there are people who are more prone to driving while tired, such as those who work long shifts and truck drivers, anyone who gets less than 8 hours of sleep a night is at risk of drowsy driving. The dangers of operating a motor vehicle while sleepy are comparable to driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Researchers have found those who have been awake 18 hours are as impaired as someone with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .05, and those who haven’t slept for a period of 24 hours are as impaired as someone with a BAC of .10; the legal BAC limit in the United States is .08.
The effects of drowsy driving can include:
- Slowed reaction time
- Greater distractions
- Increased carelessness
- Increased risk of falling asleep behind the wheel
Any of these effects can lead to a collision that can cause serious injuries or even death.
Involved in a Drowsy Driving Accident? A Miami Personal Injury Firm can Help!
If you or a loved one was involved in an accident that was caused by a drowsy driver, you could be entitled to compensation. If it can be established that the driver responsible for the accident was driving while fatigued, you can take legal action. However, drowsy driving cases can be difficult to prove. Unlike accidents that are the result of driving while drunk or under the influence of drugs, there aren’t any tests that can establish a person’s level of fatigue.
An experienced Miami personal injury attorney can collect vital evidence that can prove drowsy driving was indeed the cause of the accident. The type of evidence a Miami car accident lawyer can use to develop a drowsy driving case include:
- Testimony from those who witnessed the accident and actually saw the actions of the motorist.
- Reports that have been filed by the police detailing the state of the driver who caused the accident.
- Work timesheets that prove the length of time a person worked on a shift before driving
- Receipts from the location the driver last visited; for instance, it might show the driver purchased coffee or energy drinks, which would suggest that he or she was tired while driving.
- Reports from experts that reconstructed the accident; for example, such a report could show a lack of skid marks, which could signify that the driver fell asleep behind the wheel when the crash occurred.
Once all pertinent evidence has been collected, a personal injury lawyer in Miami will develop a case that will aim to prove the accident was the result of the other driver being tired while behind the wheel.
The Benefits of Working with a Car Accident Lawyer in Miami
You could attempt to handle your case on your own; however, for peace of mind and to increase your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve, it is in your best interest to work with a personal injury lawyer in Miami. Some of the benefits of working with one of our attorneys include:
- Vast experience. Our attorneys have handled countless drowsy driving cases throughout Miami
- A proven track record. Our lawyers have a reputation for success and have earned our clients the financial reimbursement they have been entitled to
- Reduced stress. Our attorneys will handle every aspect of your case, including working with insurance companies, collecting and filing paperwork, speaking with the other attorneys, and everything else that your case requires.
If you or someone you love has been involved in an accident that was caused by a drowsy driver, our Miami personal injury attorney can assist you during this difficult time. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.
We handle a variety of cases, so call us now if you have any questions.
View more contact information here: Miami Car Accident Lawyer.